From book bags and pencils to first day of school outfits and new tennis shoes, that back-to-school checklist can be a monstrous one! Luckily, Tax-Free Weekend is right around the corner from August 9 through 11, which means savings, fighting large crowds and scoring great deals are on the horizon for excited students, parents and residents around Denton County.
The deals you get aren’t the only way to save time and money during Tax-Free Weekend, however. The last thing you need to stress about is how you’re going to get to and from all the best deals around the county, so #RideDCTA and let us alleviate that worry and help you get to where you need to go!
Now that you know you have your ride covered, where are you going to go? Here are the top shopping spots to splurge at during Tax-Free Weekend.
Denton (Friday and Saturday only)
Golden Triangle Mall (Denton Connect Route 2)
Forget online shopping — the Golden Triangle Mall has everything you need and more! Whether you favor a big department store or love exploring small mom-and-pop boutiques, Golden Triangle has an array of options to shop at during Tax-Free Weekend. Please note that Denton Connect Route 2 only operates during Friday and Saturday of Tax-Free Weekend.
Downtown Denton (Denton Connect Routes 7 and 8)
If you’re wanting something a little more unique or homemade, Downtown Denton has a variety of small shops with a plethora of affordable and fun finds! Keep in mind that Denton Connect Routes 7 and 8 only operate during Friday and Saturday on Tax-Free Weekend and Route 7 is currently experiencing detours.
Rayzor Ranch Town Center (Denton Connects 4 and 7)
If you’re looking to spend the whole day shopping, Rayzor Ranch Town Center is perfect to keep the adrenaline pumping and the kids excited! Between shopping and scoring deals, stop by one of the many new restaurants in the area, treat yourself to a round of bowling at Andy B’s or rest your tired feet at the Alamo Draft House movie theater! Don’t forget that Denton Connect Routes 4 and 7 only operate during Friday and Saturday of Tax-Free Weekend and Route 7 is currently experiencing detours.
Highland Village (Friday only)
Shops at Highland Village (Highland Village Connect Shuttle and Lyft Discount Program)
It’s time to shop ‘til you drop! Stop by the Shops at Highland Village and take in the summer air as you shop at the outdoor mall (you can even cool off in the splash pad area between stores)! Please note our Highland Village Connect Shuttle service is only available on Friday, August 9, from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., and our Highland Village Lyft Discount program is only available Friday, August 9, from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. during Tax-Free Weekend.
Lewisville (Friday and Saturday only)
Music City Mall (Lewisville Connect Route 22)
Do you have a few more items to grab you couldn’t find at the big box stores? Music City Mall has dozens of stores and shopping opportunities for you to discover all your last-minute finds. Remember our Lewisville Connect Route 22 only operates during Friday and Saturday of Tax-Free Weekend.
Old Town Lewisville (Lewisville Connect Route 22)
If you’re on the hunt for something no one else is going to have on the first day of school, make sure you stop by Old Town Lewisville! From unique knick-knacks for your teachers on the first day of school to delicious snacks to pack in your lunchbox, there is no shortage of unique finds in store! Don’t forget that our Lewisville Connect Route 22 only operates during Friday and Saturday of Tax-Free Weekend.
Before your board DCTA, here are some helpful tips and tricks to make the most of your ride!
- Plan Out Your Trip – Make sure you beat the crowds! Be sure to take a look at all our maps and schedules prior to boarding a DCTA vehicle to see which ride fits your schedule the best. Keep track of vehicles by downloading the Transit Tracker app which provides real-time updates and information on our A-train, bus and shuttles so that you don’t miss your next shopping stop! If you have any questions while out and about, feel free to call Customer Service at 940.243.0077 on Friday (5 a.m. to 7 p.m.) or Saturday (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.).
- Safety is Key – Just like you need to be safe when shopping during Tax-Free Weekend, there are some important safety rules to keep in mind when you #RideDCTA!
- Even though you might make a pit stop for food during your day of shopping, no food or drink is allowed onboard DCTA vehicles unless in a closed, spill-proof container.
- You might be extremely excited about some of the deals you scored, but please make sure all bags are out of the aisles. If you don’t have a folding cart to pack all your shopping bags in, please keep a minimum of one to two bags onboard.
- Keep DCTA Fares in Mind – We recently changed our fare structure to provide better deals for our passengers — a local day pass is only going to cost you $3 to shop the day away! Our A-train free fare zones also allow you to ride for free between the Downtown Denton Transit Center (DDTC) and MedPark station as well as the Hebron station to Trinity Mills station. Now the money you save can go toward more shopping!
We’re so excited to hear about your shopping finds during Tax-Free Weekend! Where do you plan to #RideDCTA to for the deals of the year? Let us know in the comment section below!